Post-Operative Instructions Following Dental Mercury Removal
- Choose from one of the following baths:
- CLOROX™ BRAND Bleach Bath
Place ½ cup to 1 cup of CLOROX™ bleach in a medium hot bath. Soak for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water.
- Epsom Salt Bath
Place 2 cups in a medium hot bath. Soak for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water.
- Apple cider vinegar bath
Place 4 cups in a medium hot bath. Soak for 30 minutes and rinse with cool water.
- CLOROX™ BRAND Bleach Bath
- Drink 1 gallon of distilled water daily for 4 days following each mercury removal procedure.
- Take Glutathione and any other homeopathic as recommended.
Mercury Amalgam Removal
Dr. Jeffrey Supple is SMART-certified through the IAOMT for eliminating mercury vapor exposure for both the patient and operators during mercury removal. Even the World Health Organization (WHO) states that no amount of mercury should be considered safe.
Our mercury-free and mercury-safe dental practice follows the SMART protocol (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) which includes:
- Charcoal rinses before and after the removal.
- Intra-oral photos taken to verify all mercury is removed.
- Oxygen for the patient during the removal so that their air source is from other than the room, to prevent inhaling mercury vapors.
- Use of HEPA industrial mercury vacuums.
- Testing for compatibility of dental materials (we want to be sure whatever we are placing in your mouth, you are compatible with and that can differ from patient to patient. This can be done through Blood/serum compatibility testing with Elisa Act labs or with Kinesiology [muscle testing]).
- Intravenous Vitamin C. It acts as a ligand which means it will bind to the free-floating mercury as its released and help flush it out of your system before it can bind to the tissues and cells of the body.
- Use of the cleanup suction which is a Teflon box attached to the high-speed evacuation system that fits over the tooth and draws the mercury vapors away from the patient and the staff.
- Cleansing baths will be discussed that can help you eliminate the heavy metals through the skin.
We also recommend once the mercury fillings are removed, the patient see a physician for a diagnosis of mercury levels and possible chelation to help the body release years of mercury buildup from dental fillings as well as from the environment.
After Tooth Extraction
After tooth extraction, it’s important for a blood clot to form to stop the bleeding and begin the healing process. That’s why we ask you to bite on a gauze pad for 30-45 minutes after the appointment. If the bleeding or oozing still persists, place another gauze pad and bite firmly for another 30 minutes. You may have to do this several times.
After the blood clot forms, it is important not to disturb or dislodge the clot as it aids in healing. Do not rinse vigorously, suck on straws, smoke, drink alcohol, or brush teeth next to the extraction site for 72 hours. These activities will dislodge or dissolve the clot and retard the healing process. Limit vigorous exercise for the next 24 hours, as this will increase blood pressure and may cause more bleeding from the extraction site.
After the tooth is extracted, you may feel some pain and experience some swelling. An ice pack or an unopened bag of frozen peas or corn applied to the area will keep swelling to a minimum. Take pain medications as prescribed. The swelling usually subsides after 48 hours.
Use the pain medication as directed. Call the office if the medication doesn’t seem to be working. If antibiotics are prescribed, continue to take them for the indicated length of time, even if signs and symptoms of infection are gone. Drink lots of fluids and eat nutritious soft food on the day of the extraction. You can eat normally as soon as you are comfortable.
It is important to resume your normal dental routine after 24 hours. This should include brushing and flossing your teeth at least once a day. This will speed healing and help keep your mouth fresh and clean.