At Biological Dentistry of Albuquerque, we recognize the risks associated with mercury fillings and are proud to offer a mercury-free and mercury-safe approach to dentistry. We recognize the importance of removing mercury safely and correctly and take all the necessary steps to ensure that both the patient and our team are safe during the removal process.Dr. Supple is SMART-certified which means he is trained in the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique. This technique is designed to eliminate mercury vapor exposure for both the patient and the operator. When mercury fillings are removed, we take the extra steps to make sure that the removal is done safely and correctly so that no mercury vapor is released.
The Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique includes:
- Charcoal rinses before and after the removal to absorb any excess mercury vapors.
- Intra-oral photos to verify that all mercury is safely removed.
- Oxygen for the patient during the removal to ensure the air supply is separate from the room and the patient is not inhaling mercury vapors.
- Use of HEPA industrial mercury vacuums to capture any mercury vapors released during the removal.
- Testing for compatibility of dental materials to ensure the patient is compatible with the materials placed in their mouth.
- Intravenous Vitamin C binds to the free-floating mercury and helps flush it out of the system.
- Use of a cleanup suction which is a Teflon box attached to the high-speed evacuation system that fits over the tooth and draws the mercury vapors away from the patient and the staff.
- Cleansing baths to help eliminate any heavy metals through the skin.
We also recommend once the mercury fillings are removed, the patient see a physician for a diagnosis of mercury levels and possible chelation to help the body release years of mercury buildup from dental fillings as well as from the environment.
At Biological Dentistry of Albuquerque, we are dedicated to providing a safe and healthy environment for our patients. We understand the importance of removing mercury safely and correctly and believe in taking all the necessary steps to ensure that all of our patients are safe during the process. We are proud to offer a mercury-free and mercury-safe approach to dentistry and are confident that our SMART-certified techniques will give you peace of mind during your dental visit. Contact us today to learn more about our Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique.